Friday, 18 November 2011

Storm A Brewin ...? Week: Day 5 - Final Thoughts

Late due to a literal long trip I went on this week. Sorry folks, but...

Better late than never, I suppose. This past week has been of a more opinionated sort than most. I sincerely hope that I haven't scared anyone off. I know that a lot of what I've been talking about might be personally resonant, but that of course doesn't mean that it resonates with you.

Frankly, much like the story that in part inspired this week, I hope that the tone here took more of a warning than of a fear-mongering sort. I'm not one of those people that's going to run around crying that the industry is over whenever something comes along that I don't agree with. What I see worries me without a doubt, but do I think that it's the end of gaming as we know it?

No. Not by a long shot.

My concern is that like a weed or an infection, that strategies that involve actively ripping off the player in terms of content and what-have-you is something that needs to be stopped in the earliest stages. Ignoring the problem now could potentially lead to disaster latter, but there are a lot of checks and balances in place. Studios are paying attention, and as we've seen with EA some are trying their hand at it, but ultimately the power does lie in the hands of us: the gamers themselves. We ultimately decide what thrives and what doesn't in this market with our time, money, and praise. Like I mentioned a couple articles back, I honestly see the decline of Zynga as a good thing, because if it causes the company to either smarten up or even go belly up, it sends a powerful message that gamers aren't willing to stand for that kind of bullshit.

Again, I don't herald this as the death of video games, just something that we need to keep an eye on for various reasons. I hope that you all enjoyed or at least understood where I was trying to come from on this. If I got you thinking, then I believe I've done my job, even if you ultimately don't agree with what I've put forth.

Anyways, I don't really have a cohesive plan for next week, but if the current schedule keeps chugging along then next Friday will be the 100th post I'll make to this blog. I can't promise it will be anything neat, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.