Friday, 2 December 2011

GamePro Magazine Goes Under After 21 Years of Publication

A world without ProTips is a much harsher one.

I'll have to end this week on a somewhat sombre note, as just yesterday it was announced that GamePro would be discontinuing both its physical magazine as well as its website. After a little over two decades of publishing I have to express disappointment at losing one of the earliest gaming magazines on the scene.

I hadn't read GamePro in quite some time, but looking at their recent articles I have to say that they look like they did come a long way and undergo a lot of improvement from the old "Protip: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies." days. I didn't always agree with the content or criticism, but for me -- someone that wants to make a name in the realm of gaming journalism -- the loss of a magazine like GamePro indicates a less than certain future, at least when it comes to print publications.

I can't say though, that this was entirely unexpected. When a magazine undergoes a radical shift in distribution, in this case going from a monthly to quarterly publication, it generally isn't a good sign. Less than a year later and it's revealed that now GamePro is going to be no more.

Certainly the staff will still be around, but there are already fears that while some of them have migrated to PCWorld, that it will only be a matter of time before they are phased out there as well. This comes on top of the news that there were layoffs occurring to the original staff.

I guess that's about all I have to say, other than R.I.P. GamePro. You had a good run, I only wish it could have lasted longer.

1 comment:

  1. GamePro was the first game mag I bought semi-regularly with my limited adolescent allowance back in the day.

    I also remember they had the only actual halfway-decent Street Fighter strats.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.