Thursday, 17 May 2012

Sony of America President: "for the record, I'm totally opposed to blocking used games."

Did Hell freeze over? If so can I get my free sleigh ride?

Sony CEO and President Jack Tretton doesn't speak on behalf of the entire game industry, hell he doesn't even speak for all of Sony. After his recent comments regarding used games I kind of wish he did though. That's because Jack recently related his feelings about used games publicly, after being asked about the possibility of Sony's next system locking out secondhand titles. He related:

'for the record, I'm totally opposed to blocking used games. I think it's great for the consumer that they can buy those. We haver a customer that buys our console late in the cycle, pays less, is looking for value priced games, and I think it would be anti-consumer for us to do that'

 Holy fuck. Seriously.

There's not a whole lot that will make me drop the f-bomb on this blog, at least not with such gravitas. You've just seen one thing that will make me. This is the head honcho of Sony's American branch saying that used games aren't evil, and that preventing people from playing used games would be a stupid move.

Now, I'm willing to admit that this might be something that was said just to satiate angry consumers, but there are a couple of things that make me believe he's being honest in his statements. There's the fact that he said that the Japanese branch of Sony might feel differently, which is probably just to avoid a falling out. Secondly though there's just a bluntness about it, there's no double-speak here; Jack could have easily answered with something non-committal, which was probably what everyone expected to happen.

Instead you gets this amazing response. It's to the point, there's no work around for what is being said here at least in terms of Jack's own opinion. That he also went on to say that he hopes that Sony's next console will play used games -- in his own words regarding the used game lock out: "That is the dumbest rumour I've ever heard."

This is just something that I never expected to hear, especially given the norm of the response that the game producing community has; that being an endless stream of complaints about how used games are ruining the industry and that they should be stricken from the Earth yesterday.

What can I say besides I hope that he isn't alone in this attitude, for the sake of the entire industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.