Thursday, 28 June 2012

Metal Gear Solid 5 Announced

This is something I'm unsure how to feel about, but the more I think on it, the better I feel.

This is something that's odd to me. I've been no stranger to the Metal Gear Solid series, and after 4 I had felt that it had run its logical course. Certainly no one can ever accuse Hideo Kojima of being at a lack for narrative, for better or worse, but I accepted both the awesome and the completely off the wall insanity of the series with open arms right to the end ... or at least what I thought was the end.

As my friend Rad can attest to, I took the news of Metal Gear Solid 5 in somewhat less than stride, given that my reaction was caught whilst talking to him about other game related goings-on. When I first came across the news I was more than a little upset. After all, I believed that after 4 there was really no place for the series to go, at least not in terms of still following Old Snake's story. Now, I'll admit that if the story does continue after 4 I'll be somewhat less enthusiastic about it, but the more I think about it the less I can find myself honestly cross with the decision.

Especially because there are hints that it might be set in the time before the end of Metal Gear Solid 4, and perhaps might even be another chronicle of the adventures of Big Boss himself. I'll grant you that right now it's all just speculation, but there's plenty of untapped narrative potential in Big Boss' career that would make for some really, really badass gaming.

Really though, the thing here is that I've enjoyed every instalment of the main Metal Gear Solid series. The game I probably cared for the least was 2 but I even enjoyed that one quite thoroughly. Really, this game is going to be made whether I want it to or not, and given that it hasn't really let me down before, I should cut it a little more slack.

... What a strange feeling and thing to say coming from me. Oh well, there's a first time for everything.

More details and accompanying rage or rapture as things unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.