Monday, 27 August 2012

Molyneux's Curiosity

Molyneux seems to have gone more insane, and I'm surprisingly pretty okay with that.

Admittedly, I'm not sure what to make of this, although in due fairness, I'm not really sure that anyone is. It was a couple of months back that Molyneux announced ... something, something called Curiosity: What's Inside the Cube. Molyneux has remained rather tight-lipped about the entire affair, but taking a look at it the first impression I get is that it's certainly one of the grandest projects that he seems to have embarked on.

Of course, when I say grandest, I also mean that from the outset it seems to be also quite batshit insane. Considering that one of the only known things about Curiosity is that there's going to be an app you can purchase for fifty-thousand dollars that lets you chisel at the cube, it doesn't seem that my assessment is really too far off base. But even if someone buys that, even if no one does, you know what, I'm actually glad that Molyneux is doing this for one simple reason.

Maybe he's finally going to stand up and deliver.

We've all heard it, I've talked about it previously on this blog and you can't really get away from it if you've dug anywhere around Molyneux or a lot of his games, especially the most recent like the Fable series or Black and White. We get all the hype in the damn world, delivered to us on a golden platter, but when it comes time to actually step up to the plate the games have been ultimately underwhelming. The games have been received well enough for the most part, but they haven't lived up to the hype because they could not possibly be able to do so.

That's why I love this approach. Molyneux isn't hyping this, he's letting us do it for him. This is generating conversation, speculation, and excitement. I'm sure that if nothing else people want to know exactly what this is, and at the moment that's really for the best. I think that this has been a ballsy move for Molyneux, because he's normally his own worst enemy with these kinds of things.

Whether Curiosity will actually deliver anything is still up in the air at this point. The release of the mobile title has been pushed back to September, it was actually slated to be released last week, but apparently it will lead into something, I just hope that in this case it's something that can live up to some of the past pedigrees that Molyneux has set. We know that this guy is capable of great work, and hopefully this is him returning to top form. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.