Friday, 28 September 2012

Balance and Ruin Kickstarter

A project that you might be interested in, and if not that's fine too.

If you'll allow me to digress, and perhaps even indulge in a little nostalgia for a moment. I've listened to a lot of game soundtracks but it's still apparent to me that my heart is firmly in the 16-bit era. Of those SNES and Genesis games I've played, the RPGs had soundtracks that blew me completely away; games like Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and others.

Of these, it was especially Final Fantasy VI that enamoured me, call me biased because it was the first RPG I played, I readily admit that, but I still think that Nobuo Uematsu made some of the most fantastic, evocative music, pushing the limits of the chip set to their utter boundaries. Tracks like Aria di Mezzo Carattere, Dancing Mad, Omen, and many others still resonate with me today.

That is why a few months ago, I was excited to find that OverClocked Remix was going to produce an album of remixes for Final Fantasy VI titled Balance and Ruin. They had a Kickstarter to help fund it, although upon completion the music will still be offered for free on the website. The Kickstarter would have let people get access to the music early, or even get physical copies if they decided to donate enough money.

You may have noticed that I'm using words like "would have" and "had" for the Kickstarter. Well, although their Kickstarter was released in June to a quite successful reception, Square Enix caught wind of what was happening and wanted a word, and because of that until everything was sorted out -- assuming that it ever would be -- Kickstarter would have to close down the project, despite it having reached its goals and well beyond.

I was disappointed, to say the least. It seemed unlikely that there would be another project like this anytime soon. It was a loss, but well, the world goes on.

Except that just a couple of days ago, the Kickstarter was revived.

Now going forward with the blessings (or at the very least not incurring the ire of) Square Enix, the Kickstarter is back on, and it's already blown it's funding out of the water again. I'm quite excited to see the final results of all the hard work that everyone on the project is putting in. If you like any of the stuff that OCRemix has done in the past, or you enjoyed Final Fantasy VI's soundtrack, then stop by there and have a look around. Remember that you don't even have to buy anything, because it'll all be out there for free soon enough anyways.

On a completely different note, this is also my 300th post. Neat. Thanks to everyone who has stopped by for doing so. I'm not sure where the future is heading, but I'm happy to have made the journey thus far, and hopefully at least some of what I've written has entertained and even perhaps enlightened. Here's to the next 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.