Wednesday, 19 September 2012

The Obligatory Bayonetta 2 Post

It's time for my (least) favourite phrase to come back into play.

Yesterday I made mention of the fact that Bayonetta 2 is coming to light as a Wii U exclusive title. Whether or not this is going to be a matter of timed exclusivity is an interesting matter, but we can speculate on that later. What's at the forefront of my mind at the moment would be some of the reactions to the news. You have people who loved the first game now up in arms over the fact that it's going to be on a Nintendo system.

I'm not going to bother linking some of the crap that's spewing forth here, although you can no doubt find it easily enough yourself by typing the words "Bayonetta 2 Hate" into any search engine. The cliff's notes of it is simple enough though and mostly the usual garbage: Platinum has sold out, Kamiya has sold out, Bayonetta is retroactively ruined because of this, how could you do this to us, etc, etc. I'm sure you're aware of how this shit goes by now, and if not then I'm not really sure what to say other than welcome to the Internet, you must be new here.

First of all, let me just get this out of the way now. This is not Nintendo coming in and buying the rights to a game that was almost done and slated to be coming out and then thumbing their noses at everyone. If you ask around you'd probably get something along the lines of people saying that a sequel to Bayonetta would certainly be nice, but that it's long odds at best; not the second coming or Hell freezing over or anything, but certainly not death and taxes, if you get my drift.

By most accounts, Platinum was having trouble finding anyone willing to publish Bayonetta 2 for them, so the project couldn't even really get off the ground. Nintendo is probably the only reason that a sequel is even coming into existence. So, why all the vapid hate?

Again, those two simple, infuriating words: gamer entitlement.

To people, it's not enough that a game be made, it has to be a game that comes out on their console of choice, that lives up to all of their expectations. I'm not above voicing concerns, that would be hypocritical of me on so many levels, especially after some of the comments I've personally made about DMC: Devil May Cry, but while I am worried about the direction that the franchise is taking, I can't say that I hate Ninja Theory or Capcom (having problems with Tameemi stems from him coming off as a smug ass, more than anything else). Still, if the game turns out to be good, then I'll be happy to take a look at it.

The point I'm trying to make is that aside from the fact that it now exists, these people know nothing of how Bayonetta 2 is going to look, feel, or play. If this were Nintendo from years back then sure, the concern about them censoring the game, cutting back on the innuendo and violence might be justified, but it's not Nintendo from years back, and it's not a concern. I can understand why people might be upset about the exclusivity, even though I've never played Bayonetta I'd certainly like to, and I can't say that I'm thrilled about it being on the Wii U, but I cannot fathom a world where it being so would cause me such immense personal suffering.

This game isn't going to make me buy a Wii U, and if I never play it because of that, then so be it. That being said, I hope that it does turn out to be a great game, befitting of the action-oriented predecessors that have helped pave the way for it. These people though, will have none of that. To them the game, and apparently the entire franchise was ruined the second that it was slated to come out on a system they didn't like.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I can't help but think that we really deserve some of the shit we get pinned with. That we get called petulant children; because if some of the shit I've seen recently is to be indicative of it, then apparently more than a few of us are.

Fuck. I need a drink. By the way, don't expect an update tomorrow, life has a way of ruining the best laid plans, after all.

1 comment:

  1. In the interest of adding something positive to the Bayonetta 2 discussion, I have to wonder: what sort of possibilities would the Wii U enable?

    Given that there's only been an announcement and a logo, it's probably too early to even begin wondering what the developers would add. Still, it seems like a golden opportunity; if the Wii U has as much potential as I envision (and that's quite a bit, as I'm the "Eternal Optimist"), and third-party developers started using the tech intelligently right out of the gate, it'd be a pretty big step towards adding to the system's legitimacy.

    Or in the worst-case scenario, they can just have Bayonetta eat some super mushrooms, a la the Wii U Tekken Tag. Although supposedly, she's already a bit on the large side...

    http://kotaku.com/5389781/is-bayonetta-a-giant

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.