Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Senate Candidate Politically Attacked for Playing WoW

Because killing skeletons (and a great deal many other things) online these days is apparently what passes for having skeletons in the closet.

You know, what I'm about to say is probably going to sound ass-backwards; for all I know it really is. Reading a story like this every once and while is somehow, dare I say it, reassuring? For some reason I still think that gaming, despite all the strides that have been made in the past couple of decades, is still looked at with derision and scorn by a fair number of people. Reading incidents like this though only serves to remind me that these people go about throwing their scorn around in the absolute dumbest possible ways, which means that they will rarely, if ever, be a threat to gaming or gamers alike.

But perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself.

What I was referring to above there was the recent attack on Colleen Lachowicz by the Maine Republican Party for, of all things, playing World of Warcraft. Lachowicz is a Democratic hopeful looking to oust the incumbent Republican Tom Martin, but last week a press release paid for by the GOP accused her of leading a double life, among other things. To choose some of the ripest pieces of the attack are to be found on the website Colleen's World, which has highlighted, among other things, the fact that she likes to kill things online and that she sometimes wishes she didn't have to work so that she can play with her guildmates. There's also the fact that she jokingly made comments about drowning Grover Norquist over his plans to reform tax policy.

Basically, the GOP would like to attack Lachowicz for comments that she made online that "prove" that she's crass, violent, lazy, and not worthy of the position. No doubt these are some of the same people that crinkle their noses when Obama admits to being a gamer as well, and would cite it as one of the reasons that he isn't fit to run the country.

What a load of crap.

Lachowicz herself had this to say about the attack on her WoW hobby, which is apparently barely one these days anyways as she's been busy campaigning:

“There are a lot of these misconceptions about people who play online games,” said Lachowicz, who has a Master’s degree in social work and runs a division of a statewide mental health facility. “I’ve played with people who are retired, college professors and lawyers. I’ve only ever played with adults.”

While she may not be being completely honest about never playing with kids online (it's a big Internet, after all) I don't really doubt the fact that she was playing the game mostly with a group of friends, most of whom were adults and thus capable of their own decisions about how they want to spend their time and money.

The comment about wanting to drown Norquist is a little bit harder to dismiss, but falls under the realm of "dumb shit people say on the Internet". If you actually look at the date that Colleen's World provides, you'll see that she made this comment over SEVEN years ago, in September 2005. Again, it's a case of things being dredged up and played up in the hopes of demonizing someone.

I can admit that people, especially those running for public office and in positions of prominence, should watch what they say online, but are you really going to hold people to task for comments they make years before they decide to get into a career in politics or whatever else? I say dumb shit on Facebook all the time, does that mean that I can't do a job, or that I'm somehow inferior to a person that hasn't? There's a whole debate in that one, but I'd really like to think that the answer is no, and that I'd be judged on merit and how I accord myself in public, rather than how I act around friends online in a relaxed environment.

Anyways, this entire thing can be filed most convincingly under the "dumb" tag that I love to drag out. I can't wait to see the day when a party will place a political rival under scrutiny for playing Grand Theft Auto or Final Fantasy, and I'm honestly sort of surprised it hasn't happened already.

1 comment:

  1. The NES generation aka those that were I would say around 4 to 6 when the NES came out are turning 30 or close to it. The youngest you can be to run for the US President is 35. So I would say in the 2020 are so Presidential race we could very well have at least one person who grew up playing on a NES.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.