Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Ouya News - Controller Tweaks Abound

Also, me bitching about stuff. Huzzah?

I'll admit that I've been rather quiet on the Ouya front for many months, mostly because it's been moving forward somewhat silently and there wasn't all that much that was noteworthy to talk about. We are getting closer to the console's April release date, but it pleases me to see that even at this late in the game that the console makers are willing to still iron out the wrinkles that people are pointing out.

Basically, after the Ouya dev consoles went out, the company looked to those that got their mitts on the system early for input into not only the inner but also the outer workings of the system Whether this blog post about the changes made to the controller is only the first of many, or if they might be keeping any other potential changes under wraps is up for debate.

So far it looks like the changes have been positive: more responsive controls, an actual cross d-pad as opposed to the disc they were using, better grips on the sticks, etc.

But really, I've got to come clean about something. As glad as I am to see that the Ouya designers are doing stuff like this, my main point in bringing this up is that why is it that actually listening to good feedback seems to be a rarity these days?

Ah, the joy of using a topic as a springboard.

I know that it's something more often attributed to smaller companies (and Valve) but when did gaming companies start taking for granted the people that, you know, help keep them afloat. Honestly. I think that trying to cram things down people's throats has only lead to problems. Even the downfall of THQ can, in part, be attributed to them trying to force the UDraw onto people when the public's response to the thing was a big fat "whatever".

I know that in the past I've talked at length about things like gamer entitlement, and while I still believe there are some over-privileged idiots out there that can and will whine at the drop of a hat, I'm beginning to suspect that more and more complaints are actually unfortunately justified in the face of larger companies treating gamers like dogshit.

Perhaps this is just a massive does of cynicism talking, but these days when changes are made more often than not it doesn't feel like a company actually owning up to anything, but rather an embarrassment like having been caught with your hand in the cookie jar. Maybe it's just the nature of information being transmitted within minutes of happening that makes things look worse than they are, but I can't honestly say that I believe that.

Is it really going to be up to a select few companies to actually be the ones that want to give a care about what the gaming community actually thinks? As much as I hate to admit it, it really does seem that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.