Monday, 3 June 2013

A Concept for Day One DLC That I Don't Hate? What the Hell?

I. Wait. What?

I guess that Hell has officially frozen over, because I recently came across an example of day one DLC that I absolutely don't hate due to the way it's coming out. The game that this is happening for, Dragon's Crown, has itself been the source of a decent bit of controversy in the past couple of months. Most of the hubbub centered around The Sorceresses' rather obvious amount of endowments, and such things. If you want to track down more on that issue then this won't be the place for that though, because I'm focusing on the more recent news.

Like an ever increasing amount of games these days, it does seem like Dragon's Crown is going to be coming out with more content that's decidedly not included with the immediate purchase. In this case it would happen to be a voice pack that will add more lines and exposition for each character. It's a small, trifling thing in and of itself. So why do I like it more than a lot of other DLC that's been coming out lately, even though I haven't played the game and may not?

Well, that would be because for the first month after Dragon's Crown gets released, this DLC will be absolutely free. It's true that after this grace period that the DLC will need to be bought, at a price of $1.99, but to me that's besides the point.

When I first read that article, barely two paragraphs long if even, I couldn't believe how frigging obvious a solution like this should have been. I mean, it's not the be all and end all for a solution, far from it, but I think that it's a far better compromise than what we've been offered before. Let me break down my thought process on this.

DLC that's free for the first month encourages people to consider buying the game at or near launch, which like it or not is the most important time for most titles. Being free for the first month means that people who want to experience the game, read reviews, and actually make an informed purchase. In my eyes this puts it head and shoulders above something like a preorder, which requires you to gamble that a game be good and worth the purchase in order to get what comes with it. We've all seen how that can turn out, but this method helps avoid that.

I think that an important thing that this also generates is some good will. It actually makes the whole "we couldn't put this onto the disk" thing into a more palatable excuse (although still an excuse nonetheless). It's something that Atlus didn't have to do, but are doing anyways, which gets points in a time when a lot of other companies seem content just to milk and milk and milk.

It's something minimal at the moment, but I honestly hope that this whole thing is a success and that more companies actually take note and start doing the same thing in the future. I mean, it would be nice to have companies actually start copying things that don't screw over the consumers, even if that is a pipe dream at best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.